BANGKOK — The Newest on the discharge of Bahraini soccer participant with refugee standing in Australia who was launched from Thai detention after extradition request was withdrawn (all instances native):
Bahrain says that it “reaffirms its proper to pursue all needed authorized actions in opposition to” a soccer participant who has been granted refugee standing in Australia.
The assertion from Bahrain’s International Ministry comes after Thai prosecutors on Monday dropped a case in opposition to Hakeem al-Araibi, who then left jail and was on his technique to the airport to return to Australia.
Bahrain’s International Ministry stated in a press release that the “responsible verdict in opposition to Mr. al-Araibi stays in place and Mr. al-Araibi holds the appropriate to attraction this court docket verdict at Bahrain’s Court docket of Attraction.”
Bahrain didn’t elaborate.
Al-Araibi faces a 10-year jail sentence for an arson assault that broken a police station. He has denied these prices and says the case is politically motivated.
Australia’s prime minister has thanked Thailand for its resolution to now not search the extradition to Bahrain of a refugee soccer participant who lives in Melbourne.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison advised reporters in Canberra on Monday that Hakeem al-Araibi had left jail and was on his technique to the airport.
Morrison stated: “Now the subsequent step is for him to return dwelling. However as is at all times in these instances, individuals aren’t dwelling till they’re dwelling.”
Along with thanking Thailand, Morrison stated Australians “drastically respect their listening to the problems which were raised by our authorities and plenty of others who’ve raised this case.”
Thailand had come below nice strain from Australia’s authorities, sporting our bodies and human rights teams to ship al-Araibi again to Australia and to not Bahrain, the place he’s presupposed to serve a jail sentence he says was politically motivated.
A Thai court docket has ordered the discharge of a refugee soccer participant after prosecutors stated they had been now not in search of his extradition to Bahrain.
Court docket spokesman Suriyan Hongvilai stated Monday that Hakeem al-Araibi was now being processed for launch.
The director basic of the lawyer basic workplace’s worldwide affairs division stated prosecutors on Monday submitted to court docket a request to withdraw the case to extradite al-Araibi to Bahrain, the place he faces a 10-year jail sentence for an arson assault that broken a police station. He has denied these prices and says the case is politically motivated.
The director basic, Chatchom Akapin, stated they made the choice after Thailand’s overseas ministry despatched his division a letter Monday morning that indicated that Bahrain had withdrawn its request for al-Araibi.
Copyright 2019 The Related Press. All rights reserved. This materials will not be revealed, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.